Another great weekend with plenty of events to distract you from the chilly winter weather! There is so much to do this weekend including the Women’s March celebrating the spirit of the resistance efforts over the past year, the continuation of Buddy Guy’s shows at his legendary venue (shows on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), the Northwestern Winter Chamber Music Festival on Friday and Sunday, the end of 17th Annual Chicago Sketch Festival (all weekend long!), and let’s not forget another weekend to go see Phantom Thread in all its 70MM glory at the Music Box!
Let’s get your curated weekend started!
THE WHOLE WEEKEND, JANUARY 18th – 21st
Tomorrow Never Knows Festival @ Various Venues
WHAT: TNK unites Lincoln Hall, Schubas, Metro Chicago, Hideout Inn, and Smartbar for a fantastic festival
SO WHAT: Taking place over the course of five days, TNK curates the best of rising local indie artists as well as acclaimed national acts, including both musicians and comedians.
Thursday’s shows include:
- Wham City Comedy x Helltrap Nightmare @ Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., 7:00PM & 10:00PM, 21+, $12
- Sonny Smith (of Sonny & The Sunsets) / Cut Worms / Okey Dokey / Cafe Racer @ Schubas, 3159 N. Southport Ave., 8:00PM, 18+ -$15
- Allan Rayman / Blaise Moore / OddCouple @ Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., 9:00PM, 18+, $15
Friday’s shows include:
- Kate Willett @ Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., 7:00PM, 21+, $15
- Typhoon / Mimicking Birds / Sunbathe @ Metro, 3730 N Clark St., 7:30PM, All Ages, $15
- Snail Mail / Stef Chura / Ratboys / Lomelda / Bunny @ Schubas, 3159 N. Southport Ave., 9:00PM, 18+, SOLD OUT
- Diane Coffee / Ron Gallo / Yoko & the Oh Nos @ Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., 9:00PM, 18+, $15
- Josh Fadem @ Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., 10:00PM, 21+, $15
- Mark Farina @ Smartbar, 3730 N Clark St., 10:00PM, 21+, $15
Saturday’s shows include:
- No Age / Melkbelly / Little Junior / Slow Mass @ Schubas, 3159 N. Southport Ave., 8:00PM, 18+, SOLD OUT
- Rayland Baxter / Bill MacKay & Ryley Walker / Liz Cooper and The Stampede @ Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., 9:00PM, 18+, $15
- Destroyer & Mega Bog @ Metro, 3730 N Clark St., 9:00PM, All Ages, $20
Sunday’s shows include:
- Comedy at the Knitting Factory: Kenny DeForest / Clark Jones / Will Miles @ Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., 7:00PM, 21+, $10
- Bedouine / Angelo de Augustine / Helena Deland / V.V. Lightbody @ Schubas, 3159 N. Southport Ave., 8:00PM, 18+, $15
- Hinds / SLØTFACE / PEEL@ Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., 9:00PM, 18+, $15
NOW WHAT: Tickets for each show are available in the links above! Go and enjoy this fantastic music fest!
THURSDAY, JANUARY 18th
White Mystery / Paul Cherry / Son of a Gun In The Round @ Thalia Hall, 1807 S Allport St., 7:30PM, 17+
WHAT: Local rock at a beautiful venue
SO WHAT: Thalia Hall’s In The Round series, which sees the stage in the center of the main floor letting the audience circle around the band continues with a fantastic local show! Sibling rock n’ roll duo White Mystery will be taking over the beautiful Pilsen venue with their exuberant sounds! Joining them will be fellow Chicago DIY masters Paul Cherry and Son of a Gun
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $13.63 for this amazing In The Round lineup!
Grown Folks Stories @ The Silver Room, 1506 E 53rd St., 8:00pm – 11:00PM
WHAT: A place to share stories!
SO WHAT: Ever just want to tell a story to a room full of people? Then you should stop by The Silver Room for this open mic session Grown Folk Stories. No readings, no poetry, no spoken word, no themes, no judging. Just someone getting five minutes on the mic to tell their story.
NOW WHAT: Suggested $5 donation. Come early for a seat or bring your own! BYOB!
FRIDAY, JANUARY 19th
Vampires vs Unicorns Tournament @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery, 2780 N Lincoln Ave., 6:00PM, All Ages
WHAT: A new inventive board game for you to enjoy!
SO WHAT: Rotofugi will be collaborating with Yumfactory Games to host a tournament for their brand new game Vampires vs Unicorns: Floor War! Contributing artist Travis Lampe will be at the event to sign copies of the game, which will be available to purchase. There will also be complimentary adult beverages from Small Town Brewery for more info on the game and event, head to their event page!
NOW WHAT: There’s no entry fee and no experience necessary to play. So stop by and discover this great new game. (And yes, there will be prizes!)
An Intimate Winter Evening @ DZ Records, 8548 S 85th Ct., 9:00PM
WHAT: Another DZ Records style party!
SO WHAT: Join DZ Records for a night of great music as they begin their year with a fantastic winter shindig! There will be a nice lineup of bands rocking out for your aural pleasure including Afterglows, Matthew McNeal, and The Roalde Dahls!
NOW WHAT: Admission is $10. There will be free water and the event is BYOB.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 20th
Dumpster Tapes Presents: Easy Habits / Son of a Gun / Cass Cwik @ Coles, 2338 N Milwaukee Ave., 9:00PM, 21+
WHAT: Dumpster Tapes’ first show of the weekend!
SO WHAT: Dumpster Tapes is starting the year off with a Double Trouble show weekend! This show (Part I) will feature Easy Habits and their easy to boogie to rock, Cass Cwik’s twangy indie rock, and special guests!
NOW WHAT: It’s free! Get off your butt and support local music!
The Gold Web Album Release Show @ Emporium Arcade Bar, 1366 N Milwaukee Ave., 10:00PM, 21+
WHAT: Auditory lunacy brought to life by wild musical creatures
SO WHAT: It honestly doesn’t get any more glam as The Gold Web. This band of winged, glittered, and face painted musicians mix their gonzo theatrical stage shows with some flashy and utterly catchy songs. The band is hypnotizing as they churn out surreal synths and manic beats. They are a must see local band and this opportunity should not be missed!
NOW WHAT: It’s a free show and if you RSVP you get free stuff! Go, go, go!
SUNDAY, JANUARY 21st
Bric-A-Brac Brunch @ The Empty Bottle, 1035 N Western Ave., 11:00AM, All Ages
WHAT: A little bit of Bric-A-Brac in you brunch
SO WHAT: Nick & Jen, owners of the always great Bric-A-Brac Records & Collectibles, are stopping by for brunch at Bite Cafe! Stop by and listen to some of the finest rock & oddities while you pile delicious food in front of you and wet your whistle with drinks from friendly bartenders. They will be shucking some goods to sell including vinyl, cassettes, poster, toys, accessories and honestly so much more pop culture weirdness!
NOW WHAT: Bring money for food, drinks, and Bric-A-Brac wares!
Dumpster Tapes Presents: Krozer / Wet Wallet / Diagonal @ Slippery Slope, 2357 N Milwaukee Ave, 9:00PM, 21+
WHAT: Dumpster Tapes’ first Third Sunday at Slippery Slope show of 2018
SO WHAT: Dumpster Tapes is starting the yea off with a Double Trouble show weekend! This show (Part II) will feature the rocking sounds of Krozer, Wet Wallet‘s noisy experimentation, Diagonal’s psychedelic madness taking the stage at Slippery Slope!
NOW WHAT: It’s free!