Today

Jury Selection in Van Dyke Trial Resumes, Chicago to Consider Universal Basic Income – Third Coast Today 09-12-18

Jury Selection in Van Dyke Trial Resumes

Jury selection for the murder trial of Jason Van Dyke – the former Chicago Police officer who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times, killing him – is scheduled to continue Wednesday morning.

The process was postponed Tuesday due to scheduling conflicts Judge Vincent Gaughan had, according to Fox32.

Five people – three women and two men – have been selected so far from a pool of about 200 potential jurors.

Demonstrators march along the Magnificent Mile in October 2017 urging shoppers to boycott black Friday purchases to fight for police accountability. Photo by Aaron Cynic/File.

Attorneys for Van Dyke have filed several motions to move the trial outside Cook County, and could still also opt for a bench trial, where Gaughan alone would decide the verdict. They argue that Van Dyke cannot receive a fair trial because of extensive media coverage, and have also claimed that jurors cannot be impartial because the city would “riot.”

“It is abundantly clear that the community will riot if Van Dyke is not found guilty,” defense attorney Dan Herbert wrote in a court filing, according to the Sun-Times.

Community activists who’ve been calling for justice for the family of McDonald have said that argument is “incorrect and misleading.” 

William Calloway, a community organizer who alongside journalist Brandon Smith helped secure the release of video footage of McDonald’s death and has helped organize peaceful protests outside the courthouse, told the Sun-Times that demonstrators “have been promoting peace and non-violence since the trial has started.”

Task Force to Consider Universal Basic Income

Mayor Rahm Emanuel will form a task force to study implementing a universal basic income program in Chicago, where families are paid a monthly stipend with no strings attached as a way to offset poverty.

Alderman Amaya Pawar introduced a resolution in the City Council in June calling for a pilot program where 1,000 families would receive $500 a month.

“Chicago would be the largest city in the country to take this step,” Pawar told the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday. “I think the mayor sees this as a chance to lead the way as cities try to grapple with poverty and income inequality at a time the federal government is not addressing those things. This would be a legacy issue (for Emanuel).”

Recommended Reads

Prisoners Strike for Civil Resurrection – Kelly Hayes/Truthout

Here’s What Happened to the 99 Immigrant Children Separated From Their Parents and Sent to Chicago – Jodi S. Cohen, Melissa Sanchez and Duaa Eldeib/Propublica Illinois

He Pleaded Against Gun Violence. Bullets Silenced Him. – New York Times Editorial Board

Graffiti Artists From Around The World Unite At Crawford Steel Where Their Art Is Celebrated — Not Rejected – Pat Nabong/Block Club Chicago

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *