Summer is starting its wind-down as we enter Labor Day weekend. But the weather is still pretty damn nice and yo know we’ll keep it going as long as we can. There are just so many fun things going on this weekend!
It’s feeling a little more normal to go out since Chicago dropped the masking and vaccination proof mandates on February 28 (for better or worse) and events are rolling in. While it may seem like we’re at the tail end of things, many venues still have their mask and vaccination requirements for the foreseeable future. So if you do plan to go out this weekend, make sure you check out the venue’s policies and take initiative. Wear a mask, social distance, and get your vaccination shots and your booster even if the venue/event doesn’t require it. And if you still feel that wearing a mask is a must (like many still do), then please wear one. Protect yourself and those around you. If you still don’t feel entirely safe to go out (and quite honestly, who can blame you?) you can always stay in and support these places from home.
Now, let’s get on with your Chicago Curated Weekend!
- Support Local Venues
- Kingston Mines is open with some great lineups this weekend
- Fitzgerald’s Patio is also back in full swing
- Evanston Space‘s shop is open and you should consider donating to help the venue during these weird times. They are also having lower capacity shows at the venue!
- Head over to the Hideout’s regular shop and get yourself some great merch! Their 2020 Holiday Sale page is also still up with links to great local artists!
- Metro shop is full of fantastic concert posters from yesteryear and cool merch
- Lincoln Hall/Schubas always has great items in their shop waiting for you! Plus Schubas/Tied House is open and events are on their way back!
- Same goes for Thalia Hall’s merch store (those holiday socks? *chef’s kiss*)
- Let’s not forget Empty Bottle’s fantastic merch shop! Plus they just added some new stuff designed by some awesome people that is sure to catch your eye! Shows are going on now as well, so head over to their venue site and go to some concerts if you’re comfortable
- Art Galleries and Special Events
- Chicago Gamespace is the perfect spot to check out the hairy present and future of the gaming realm! They are currently showing 50th Anniversary of Magnavox Odyssey
- All Star Press is constantly putting up new prints for you to decorate your space with! This week sees the opening of The Voyeurs, a solo Show by Steve Seeley! Plus you can check out some of their prints from last year’s Vertical Gallery collab, which you can purchase here!! There is also a virtual gallery featuring all the works! You can see their previous show “Saturday Morning Fever” featuring the works of Griffin Goodman through their virtual gallery! And don’t forget to check out the virtual edition of JC Rivera’s new exhibition “Still Undefeated” !
- Galerie F has a fun stock of prints from concert posters, pop culture prints and more!
- Rotufugi is the perfect nexus of art and toys! Head over to see what new pieces of art they have in stocks and on display in their gallery space! They are currently showing Celia New Works by Vivian Le!
- Immersive Van Gogh does exactly what its name says: immerses you into Van Gogh paintings via huge projections that bring the already lively art to life!
- Immersive Frida is another immersive art experience that will take you on a trip to the beautiful world of Frida Kahlo
- “Prince: The Immersive Experience”
- WNDR Museum is an ever-evolving immersive art and technology experience designed to ignite your curiosity! See exhibits like the Light Floor, Try to Get Higher, and the Digital Gallery. Plus Keith Haring!
- Garfield Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely!
- Lincoln Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely!
- Chicago Botanic Garden is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautifully lit up gardens safely!
- Special Events this Weekend only!
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st
WHAT: A little taste of France in Wrigleyville!
SO WHAT: French Market will be a perfect way to spend your Thursday evening with its casual, European flair and wide variety of vendors. Each day of the market will feature 20+ vendors! Whether your looking for some tasty treats, hand made goods, or just a good time in the setting summer sun, French Market is there for you! Plus there will be a kids craft corner to keep the kid’s imaginations growing. You can bring your blanket on the grass or pick a patio table to sit back and enjoy the live music each week! Check out the music schedule below!
- September 1 – Dr. Mark & the Sutures (Beatles cover band)
- September 15 – Imperial Boxmen (World Jazz Trip Hop
FRIDAY – SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 2nd – 4th (& BEYOND)
The Great American Lobster Fest 2022 @ Navy Pier, 600 E Grand Ave, Friday & Saturday Noon – 10:00pm, Sunday Noon – 9:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: the 7th year of lobster goodness at Navy Pier
SO WHAT: The Great American Lobster Fest is three full days of fresh lobster flown in from the east coast that will be accented by some great live music performances including Rico!, Aniba & the Sol Starz, Who’s Bad: The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute Experience, Thornetta Davis, and many more! There will also be plenty of fun family-friendly activities and unique shopping experiences for you to indulge in!
NOW WHAT: Entry to the festival grounds is free! Meal tickets for the fest are currently available for $70 and $130 for VIP !
North Coast Music Festival 2022 @ SeatGeek Stadium, 7000 Harlem Ave, Bridgeview, Friday 2:00pm – Midnight, Saturday & Sunday 2:00pm – 11:00am
WHAT: A lot of EDM for your Labor Day Weekend
SO WHAT: NCMF has transformed over the years, changing venues and musical styles in the past few years. It has now reached its full-on EDM era with three days of nonstop dance music. Headliners for this year’s festival include Armin Van Buren, Diplo, Kaytanada, and Illenium! The rest of the lineup looks great too with Gryffin, Jai Wolf, Madeon, and many more! Check out the full lineup on their website!
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $391.50 for the 3-day VIP pass and $93.57 for single day passes!
ARC Music Festival @ Union Park, 1501 W Randolph St, 2:00pm – 10:00pm
WHAT: A new fest enters the packed September festival season
SO WHAT: ARC Music Festival is holding the very first edition of their festival in Union Park! The fest has its sights set on connecting the global electronic music scene including modern house music icons, Chicago’s own originators, international techno artists and multi-genre live performances. There are some great sets to catch including Get Real, Richie Hawtin, Fatboy Slim, and many more!
NOW WHAT: Single day tickets start at $149 and two day passes at $319! There are Global and Icon VIP passes available as well!
The Neo-Futurists’ The Infinite Wrench @ The Neo-Futurist Theater, 5153 N Ashland, Friday and Saturday 10:30pm, Sunday 7:00pm, 16+
WHAT: Quick plays live and online!
SO WHAT: The Neo-Futurists are back! Their Infinite Wrench is an ongoing, ever-changing attempt to perform 30 plays in 60 minutes for a live audience. Now it’s actually a live audience that will be enjoying the performance in person! With plenty of COVID precautions in place, you’ll be able to enjoy the funny, disgusting, profound, terrifying, irreverent, and downright entertaining show with friends! Plan ahead as vaccination cards will be checked and booster will be required to be fully vaccinated.
NOW WHAT: Join the Neo-Futurists this weekend for $10! Head over to their website to see all they have planned now that in-person audiences are a thing again! If you’re still a little anxious about going out, The Infinite Wrench Goes Viral will be continuing til February (and possibly beyond) over at their Patreon
SATURDAY & SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd & 4th
Bulls Fest @ United Center,1901 W Madison St, 8:00am – 9:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: Two full days of Bulls!
SO WHAT: It’s the inaugural Bulls Fest! Spend the weekend checking out an incredible 3v3 basketball tournament, tons of clinics, live music, food trucks, and “The Art of the Game,” art show brought to you by All Star Press and more! The music stage will feature tons of great acts including the Chose Few DJs, Da Brat, G Herbo and more. Head over to the event website for more details!
NOW WHAT: Entry is free! Complimentary wristbands will be required for the concerts. You can pick up complimentary wristbands at the United Center ticket windows at Gate 2 and 3 after 1pm.
West Loop Art Fest @ West Loop, Washington Street starting on the corner of N Halsted St., 10:00am – 7:00pm, all ages
WHAT: A place to shop for some wonderful art
SO WHAT: Take a nice late summer stroll around the West Loop neighborhood as you take in the beautiful art on sale at the West Loop Art Fest. Four blocks of amazing artists will be on hand with their unique and varied works ready to go to their new home!
NOW WHAT: It’s free, just head out and enjoy the wonderful art and purchase some for your place!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd
Summer Fireworks @ Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Avenue, 10:00pm – 10:10pm
WHAT: Enjoy the spectacle of fireworks all summer long
SO WHAT: Take a trip to Navy Pier and check out their dazzling display of fireworks!. Each show features dramatic and popular music soundtracks with some special occasion soundtracks sprinkled throughout the season.
NOW WHAT: It’s free! Just make your way to Navy Pier, find a spot, and enjoy the show !
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4th
ZINEmercado 2022 @ Comfort Station, 2579 N Milwaukee Ave, 11:00am – 5:00pm, all ages
SO WHAT: Join Comfort Station in Logan Square for another edition of the annual ZINEmercado. As always this fantastic festival will feature zines created by artists, writers, musicians, and photographers from around the country and even a few from outside the US! Of course there will be music, provided by DJs and beat makers throughout the day, so head out and discover some new amazing art.
NOW WHAT: It’s free!
Sundays on State @ State Street from Lake to Monore, 11:00am – 8:00pm
WHAT: From Lake to Madison, State Street becomes an open street full of surprises!
SO WHAT: Neighbors from every Chicago community and beyond are invited to Sundays on State, an interactive block party that will let you safely enjoy art, culture, active recreation, retail, bars, restaurants, and local attractions! Experience everyone’s neighborhood, the Loop, like never before!
NOW WHAT: This fantastic way to spend your Sundays this summer is FREE!
THE WHOLE SELF-DISTANCING WEEKEND & BEYOND
Chicago Jazz Festival @ Millennium Park, 201 E Randolph St, All Ages
WHAT: A full weekend of free jazz (pun intended)
SO WHAT: The Chicago Jazz Festival is a fantastic Labor Day Weekend tradition that celebrates all forms of jazz with free amazing live musical performances. The festival’s mission is to showcase the vast jazz talent of Chicago alongside national and international artists to help further the awareness of this beautiful musical genre. Performers this year include Henry Threadgill Zooid, Bill Frisell, William Parker Quintet, Donald Harrison, and many more!.
NOW WHAT: The festival is free to enjoy, just head there early and bask in the sounds of some great musicians. You can check out the full schedule here.
Out of Space @ Temperance Beer Co, 2000 Dempster Street, Evanston, 5:00pm-10:00pm
WHAT: Evanston Space’s incredible series of outdoor concerts, Out of Space, is back!
SO WHAT: The multiple meaning, pun titled Out of Space will be welcoming an impressive lineup of musicians to Temperance Beer Co.! Check out the lineup below!
- Sept 1 Houndmouth w/ Ric Wilson
- Sept 2 Car Seat Headrest w/ La Luz
- Sept 3 Neko Case w/ Courtney Marie Andrews
- Sept 4 Steel Pulse and KRS One (Co-bill, Steel Pulse Closing)
ChiTown Movies @ Pilsen Neighborhood, 2343 S. Throop St, Various Times, All Ages
WHAT: An old school experience for the modern age
SO WHAT: Take a trip back in time and head out to a drive-in movie with ChiTown Movies. Ever since the pandemic started and shut down traditional movie screening, a few pop up drive-ins have arrived and ChiTown Movies has persevered, offering up modern movies in this retro setting. Check out their lineup below for showings this weekend and in the future!
- 9/1 Jurassic World Dominion – 8:00pm
- 9/2 Encanto – 8:00pm
- 9/2 Friday the 13th – 10:30pm
- 9/3 The Notebook – 8:00pm
- 9/3 Us – 10:30pm
- 9/4 Shrek – 8:00pm
- 9/4 A Quiet Place & Quiet Place Part 2– 10:00pm
- 9/5 Jurassic World Dominion– 7:30pm
- 9/6 Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – 7:30pm
- 9/6 Mamma Mia! – 7:30pm
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $33 per car for these movies, so bring the family for a safe movie watching experience
Weekend Shows @ Lincoln Hall & Schubas, 2424 N Lincoln Ave & 3159 N Southport Ave, various times, 18+
WHAT: A full weekend of amazing shows at Schubas!
SO WHAT: Lincoln Hall and Schubas are some of our favorite venues in the city and they always have something great going on. Check out what’s going this weekend at these great venues!
- September 1 – Edward & Graham / Jacob on the Moon / Grace Coletta @ Schubas
- September 1 – Schubas Open Mic Hosted by Naomi Spungen and Adrienne Stout @ Schubas
- September 2 – Rotten Mouth Album Release / Shoobie / Divisor @ Schubas
- September 3 – Gabacho Sal De Mar Release Party / Space Gators @ Schubas
- September 4 – The King Khan & BBQ Show / Miranda and the Beat @ Lincoln hall
NOW WHAT: Head out to Schubas & Lincoln Hall and enjoy this great lineup of shows! Please note: proof of vaccination is required for entry to all shows at Lincoln Hall and Schubas in Chicago. Click here for more information on this policy.
Back on the Big Screen and Virtual Cinema @ Music Box Theatre, 3733 N Southport Ave and at your home, any time you want to watch a movie
WHAT: A great way to support a great local theater
SO WHAT: The Music Box Theatre is really to fill that art house need in you with some excellent movies including with Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Emily the Criminal, Funny Pages, Foolish Wives Part of: Silent Cinema at the Music Box with a Live score by Music Box organist Dennis Scott, The Story of Film: A New Generation – A Film Series, The Creepshow: A Stephen King Film Festival, and more! But if you want to watch some first-run movies at home, you can still watch great movies and support them online! They are currently screening films via their The Music Box Direct series! There are also tons of select titles available on their new platform!
NOW WHAT: Digital tickets are $12, in person screenings vary, so sit back and enjoy!
New Talks and Video Archives @ Various Locations & Chicago Humanities Festival YouTube channel, your favorite browser or YouTube app, any time you want some inspiration, All Ages
WHAT: Interesting conversations with interesting people!
SO WHAT: Chicago Humanities Festival always brings some of the best ideas to the surface with entertaining programming that captures your imagination. Be on the lookout for updates to the upcoming season as their website is constantly updated with new talks. Here is a taste of what coming in September!
- 9/11 Cooler by the Lake: South Shore Arts Party
- 9/17 Angel Bat Dawid Performs at Yoko Ono’s Skylanding
- 9/18 Pilsen Mural Tour with Sam Kirk (Tour 1)
Masque of the Red Coronavirus! @ Black Button Eyes Productions, Any time on your computer or mobile device. For 18+.
WHAT: Written by Black Button Eyes Productions producing artistic director Ed Rutherford, this short satirical piece is available online free as a combined script-and-video experience.
SO WHAT: In addition to reading the play, you will see various Chicago artists act out portions of the script on video, recorded remotely. The event includes puppets, burlesque, original music, fire dancing and more in a brief, darkly comedic confection.
With the Red Coronavirus running rampant across the countryside and a vaccine still months away, what’s a Prince to do? Lock himself in a secure bunker in an undisclosed location along with a cohort of his top donors, of course. To prevent him and his rich supporters from becoming bored, the Prince has also brought a few artists into the bunker to entertain the crowd. But as the hour grows later and the night grows weirder, it’s clear that something else has also invaded the party.
NOW WHAT: Settle down for an evening of magical weirdness. Click here and begin reading and watching the videos.