The holiday season is in full effect! Get ready for all the markets and late fall/early winter events popping up! So whether you’re looking from a winter-themed experience or want to catch an awesome show, this coming weekend is ready with some excellent events!
It’s feeling a little more normal to go out since Chicago dropped the masking and vaccination proof mandates (for better or worse) and events are rolling in. While it may seem like we’re at the tail end of things, many venues still have their mask and vaccination requirements for the foreseeable future. So if you do plan to go out this weekend, make sure you check out the venue’s policies and take initiative. Wear a mask, social distance, and get your vaccination shots and your booster even if the venue/event doesn’t require it. And if you still feel that wearing a mask is a must (like many still do), then please wear one. Protect yourself and those around you. If you still don’t feel entirely safe to go out (and quite honestly, who can blame you?) you can always stay in and support these places from home.
Now, let’s get on with your Chicago Curated Weekend!
- Support Local Venues
- Kingston Mines is open with some great lineups this weekend
- Fitzgerald’s Patio is also back in full swing
- Evanston Space‘s shop is open and you should consider donating to help the venue during these weird times. They are also having lower capacity shows at the venue!
- Head over to the Hideout’s regular shop and get yourself some great merch! Their 2020 Holiday Sale page is also still up with links to great local artists!
- Metro shop is full of fantastic concert posters from yesteryear and cool merch
- Lincoln Hall/Schubas always has great items in their shop waiting for you! Plus Schubas/Tied House is open and events are on their way back!
- Same goes for Thalia Hall’s merch store (those holiday socks? *chef’s kiss*)
- Let’s not forget Empty Bottle’s fantastic merch shop! Plus they just added some new stuff designed by some awesome people that is sure to catch your eye! Shows are going on now as well, so head over to their venue site and go to some concerts if you’re comfortable
- Art Galleries and Special Events
- Chicago Gamespace is the perfect spot to check out the hairy present and future of the gaming realm! They are currently showing 50th Anniversary of Magnavox Odyssey
- All Star Press is constantly putting up new prints for you to decorate your space with! Plus you can check out some of their prints from last year’s Vertical Gallery collab, which you can purchase here!! There is also a virtual gallery featuring all the works! You can see their previous show “Saturday Morning Fever” featuring the works of Griffin Goodman through their virtual gallery! And don’t forget to check out the virtual edition of JC Rivera’s new exhibition “Still Undefeated” !
- Galerie F has a fun stock of prints from concert posters, pop culture prints and more!
- Rotufugi is the perfect nexus of art and toys! Head over to see what new pieces of art they have in stocks and on display in their gallery space! They are currently showing Jonny on the Spot with the Ammo New Works by Derek Hess. Plus this Saturday, November 19, 2-4pm will feature a special in-store signing with Chicago-based artist Sentrock!
- “Prince: The Immersive Experience”
- WNDR Museum is an ever-evolving immersive art and technology experience designed to ignite your curiosity! See exhibits like the Light Floor, Try to Get Higher, and the Digital Gallery. Plus Keith Haring!
- Garfield Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely!
- Lincoln Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely!
- Chicago Botanic Garden is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautifully lit up gardens safely!
- SPECIAL EVENTS!
FRIDAY – SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 18th – 20th & BEYOND
Christkindlmarket @ Daley Plaza (50 W Washington St) & Gallagher Way (3635 N Clark St) & RiverEdge Park (360 N. Broadway, Aurora), Various Times, All Ages
WHAT: The Chicago Christmas time tradition is back in person!
SO WHAT: After going digital last year, Christkindlmarket is back with all the familiar foods, music, and ornaments you expect! Head over to their website for info on special events, hours, and more! If you’re still not feeling up to the crowds, their online marketplace will be up and running for those who want to stay home!
NOW WHAT: It’s free! Mask up and stay safe as you experience the wonderful marketplace!
Winterland @ Gallagher’s Way, 3635 N Clark St, Friday & Saturday 11:00am – 9:00pm, Sunday 11:00am – 7:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: Some more winter festivities
SO WHAT: Enjoy the return of Gallagher Way’s Winterland with the fun expanding into Wrigley Field itself!! Enjoy fun rides (Wintertube, Infield Express, Hot Cocoa Cups, and Winter Whirl), games (Chiney Toss, Tree Topper, & Snow Pitch), and of course the usual ice skating, ice bumper cars, and the Christkindlmarket will be on hand!
NOW WHAT: Entry to the Wrigley Field portion starts at $5 and attraction tickets are $4 (10 for $36 & 20 for $69)! Ice Skating + Skate Rental is 5 attraction tickets or $20, rink access only is 3 tickets or $12.
ZooLights @ Lincoln Park Zoo, 2001 N Clark St, 4:30pm – 10:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: One of the largest displays of the season’s lights!
SO WHAT: ZooLights, Presented By ComEd and Invesco QQQ, at Lincoln Park Zoo makes the most wonderful time of year even better with the most wonderful lighting event. The one of a kind experience offers fun family oriented holiday celebrations that feature beautiful displays and incredible seasonal activities all under the glow of millions lights! Check out their event page for a full rundown of all the fun that is waiting for you at the annual ZooLights event!
NOW WHAT: Entry is free on Mondays and Tuesday, $5 every other day! Tickets for the Winter Experiences, including the carousel, Lionel Train Adventure, Ferris Wheel, Light Maze, and S’mores at Snowy’s will be available on site for $4 each, a package of 10 for $36, or a package of 20 for $69.
ChiTown Movies @ Pilsen Neighborhood, 2343 S. Throop St, Various Times, All Ages
WHAT: An old school experience for the modern age
SO WHAT: Take a trip back in time and head out to a drive-in movie with ChiTown Movies. Ever since the pandemic started and shut down traditional movie screening, a few pop up drive-ins have arrived and ChiTown Movies has persevered, offering up modern movies in this retro setting. Check out their lineup below for showings this weekend and in the future!
- 11/17 Shrek for only $22.22/car – 7:00pm
- 11/18 Back to the Future – 7:30pm
- 11/18 Us 10:00pm
- 11/19 Top Gun: Maverick – 7:00pm
- 11/19 Nope – 10:00pm
- 11/20 Jurassic Park – 7:00pm
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $33 per car for these movies, so bring the family for a safe movie watching experience
The Neo-Futurists’ The Infinite Wrench @ The Neo-Futurist Theater, 5153 N Ashland, Friday and Saturday 10:30pm, Sunday 7:00pm, 16+
WHAT: Quick plays live and online!
SO WHAT: The Neo-Futurists are back! Their Infinite Wrench is an ongoing, ever-changing attempt to perform 30 plays in 60 minutes for a live audience. Now it’s actually a live audience that will be enjoying the performance in person! With plenty of COVID precautions in place, you’ll be able to enjoy the funny, disgusting, profound, terrifying, irreverent, and downright entertaining show with friends! Plan ahead as vaccination cards will be checked and booster will be required to be fully vaccinated.
NOW WHAT: Join the Neo-Futurists this weekend for $10! Head over to their website to see all they have planned now that in-person audiences are a thing again! If you’re still a little anxious about going out, The Infinite Wrench Goes Viral will be continuing til February (and possibly beyond) over at their Patreon
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 19th
Sloomoo Experience Chicago Grand Opening @ Sloomoo Institute, 820 N. Orleans St,
WHAT: A family friendly slime experience~
SO WHAT: The Sloomoo Institute is a new multi-sensory immersive experience that lets attendees immerse themselves into some fun sensory play! Enjoy all the colors and scents of the never-ending hand crafted slime, ASMR delights, and so much more!
NOW WHAT: Tickets for the grand opening are $39 and include a custom 8 oz. slime! The Enhance experience includes entering tinot the Sloomoo Falls and custom 8 oz. slime for $69!
Wintrust Magnificent Mile Lights Festival @ Magnificent Mile, 401 North Michigan Avenue, 11:00am -7:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: A grand display of holiday cheer!
SO WHAT: This wonderful Lights Festival starts early in the day with a festive thoroughfare of booths and family activities, including photos with Santa Claus! Then at 5:30pm the tree lighting parade commences with Grand Marshals Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse in attendance along with a parade featuring over an hour of fabulous floats, giant helium balloons, exciting marching bands, celebrities, musical performances, Santa Claus, fireworks and more!
NOW WHAT: It’s free! If you’re not feeling up to being there in person, ABC will be broadcasting the event throughout the holiday season!
Andersonville Viking Pub Crawl @ Atmosphere Bar (5355 N Clark) & Various Locations, 3:00pm – 6:00pm, 21+
WHAT: A little trip around the bars in Andersonville!
SO WHAT: The Andersonville Viking Pub Crawl returns with tons of stops and a whole lot of fun! Groups are encouraged, so invite your friends and dress up – there will be a costume contest for best group and best individual Viking costume!
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $35 and include an appetizer at check-in at Atmosphere Bar (5355 N Clark) and a 13oz. commemorative glass. Bring cash for drinks as some venues do not take credit cards.
Tenci / Macie Stewart / Girl K @ Sleeping Village, 3734 W Belmont Ave, 8:00pm, 21+
WHAT: Two of Chicago’s best musicians on one lineup
SO WHAT: If you haven’t seen Tenci’s My Heart is an Open Field, then you’re missing out because Tenci , the musical project of Jess Shoman, just released another amazing album in A Swollen River, A Well Overflowing. Both albums are overflowing with sincere emotion that will leave you needing more of Shoman’s incredible and unique voice. Macie Stewart and Girl K will be opening up the night making for a can’t miss show!
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $15 in advance, $18 day of show for this great night at Sleeping Village
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20th
New Talks and Video Archives @ Various Locations & Chicago Humanities Festival YouTube channel, your favorite browser or YouTube app, any time you want some inspiration, All Ages
WHAT: Interesting conversations with interesting people!
SO WHAT: Chicago Humanities Festival always brings some of the best ideas to the surface with entertaining programming that captures your imagination. Be on the lookout for updates to the upcoming season as their website is constantly updated with new talks. Here is a taste of what coming in September!
- 11/20 Patti Smith @ Music Box Theatre SOLD OUT
- 11/29 Chicago’s Public Spaces: Past, Present, and Future
- 12/9 Bill Frisell & Petra Haden in Concert
THE WHOLE SELF-DISTANCING WEEKEND & BEYOND
Weekend Shows @ Lincoln Hall & Schubas, 2424 N Lincoln Ave & 3159 N Southport Ave, various times, 18+
WHAT: A full weekend of amazing shows at Schubas and Lincoln Hall!
SO WHAT: Lincoln Hall and Schubas are some of our favorite venues in the city and they always have something great going on. Check out what’s going this weekend at these great venues!
- November 17 – Jack Kays The Man With A Guitar On Tour / Chikah @ Lincoln Hall
- November 17 – Schubas Open Mic Hosted by Naomi Spungen, Adrienne Stout, and Suz Ballout @ Schubas
- November 17 – NoSo/Josephine @ Schubas
- November 18 – Welshly Arms Motherfolk with special guest Bryce Fox @ Lincoln Hall
- November 18 – Pluko / Levity @ Schubas
- November 19 – The Sheepdogs Live & Outta Sight Tour Boy Golden@ Lincoln Hall
- November 19 – Night Tales / hhunter @ Schubas
- November 20 – aldn / poptropicaslutz! @ Schubas
NOW WHAT: Head out to Schubas & Lincoln Hall and enjoy this great lineup of shows! Please note: proof of vaccination is required for entry to all shows at Lincoln Hall and Schubas in Chicago. Click here for more information on this policy.
Back on the Big Screen and Virtual Cinema @ Music Box Theatre, 3733 N Southport Ave and at your home, any time you want to watch a movie
WHAT: A great way to support a great local theater
SO WHAT: The Music Box Theatre is really to fill that art house need in you with some excellent movies including with Decision to Leave, Aftersun, Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio, Love, Charlie, Midnight screenings of Party Girl, and more! But if you want to watch some first-run movies at home, you can still watch great movies and support them online! They are currently screening films via their The Music Box Direct series! There are also tons of select titles available on their new platform!
NOW WHAT: Digital tickets are $12, in person screenings vary, so sit back and enjoy!
Masque of the Red Coronavirus! @ Black Button Eyes Productions, Any time on your computer or mobile device. For 18+.
WHAT: Written by Black Button Eyes Productions producing artistic director Ed Rutherford, this short satirical piece is available online free as a combined script-and-video experience.
SO WHAT: In addition to reading the play, you will see various Chicago artists act out portions of the script on video, recorded remotely. The event includes puppets, burlesque, original music, fire dancing and more in a brief, darkly comedic confection.
With the Red Coronavirus running rampant across the countryside and a vaccine still months away, what’s a Prince to do? Lock himself in a secure bunker in an undisclosed location along with a cohort of his top donors, of course. To prevent him and his rich supporters from becoming bored, the Prince has also brought a few artists into the bunker to entertain the crowd. But as the hour grows later and the night grows weirder, it’s clear that something else has also invaded the party.
NOW WHAT: Settle down for an evening of magical weirdness. Click here and begin reading and watching the videos