Your Chicago Curated Weekend: 5/11 and Beyond
After a warm start to the week, we’re back to the middling temps this weekend. Luckily there’s plenty of amazing events to take your mind off the cooler spring atmosphere. So enjoy it as you check out some incredible markets, movies, concerts and more in this weekend’s events!
While it feels like the pandemic is behind us, you still need to be mindful when you go out this weekend and beyond. The winter season has seen a lot of colds, flu, RSV, and of course bouts of COVID. It’s better to be safe and wear a mask when you go out to big events. And if you’re still a little hesitant to go out, there are many events and things to do from home. So whether you’re staying in or going out, keep safe and stay healthy!
Now, let’s get on with your Chicago Curated Weekend!
- Support Local Venues
- Kingston Mines is open with some great lineups this weekend
- Fitzgerald’s is also back in full swing
- Evanston Space
- Head over to the Hideout’s regular shop and get yourself some great merch! Their 2020 Holiday Sale page is also still up with links to great local artists!
- Metro shop is full of fantastic concert posters from yesteryear and cool merch
- Lincoln Hall/Schubas always has great items in their shop waiting for you! Plus Schubas/Tied House is open and events are on their way back!
- Same goes for Thalia Hall’s merch store (those holiday socks? *chef’s kiss*)
- Let’s not forget Empty Bottle’s fantastic merch shop! Plus they just added some new stuff designed by some awesome people that is sure to catch your eye! Shows are going on now as well, so head over to their venue site and go to some concerts if you’re comfortable
- Art Galleries and Special Events
- Chicago Gamespace is the perfect spot to check out the hairy present and future of the gaming realm! Currently they are showing LIGHT CYCLES: 40 Years of TRON in Games & Film
- All Star Press is constantly putting up new prints for you to decorate your space with! Plus you can check out some of their prints from last year’s Vertical Gallery collab, which you can purchase here!! There is also a virtual gallery featuring all the works! You can see their previous show “Saturday Morning Fever” featuring the works of Griffin Goodman through their virtual gallery! And don’t forget to check out the virtual edition of JC Rivera’s new exhibition “Still Undefeated” !
- Galerie F has a fun stock of prints from concert posters, pop culture prints and more!
- Rotofugi is the perfect nexus of art and toys! Head over to see what new pieces of art they have in stocks and on display in their gallery space! They are currently showing Donut Bears: New Works by Mr. Likey
- WNDR Museum is an ever-evolving immersive art and technology experience designed to ignite your curiosity! See exhibits like the Light Floor, Try to Get Higher, and the Digital Gallery. Plus Keith Haring!
- Garfield Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely!
- Lincoln Park Conservatory is open! Book a reservation to see all the beautiful gardens safely
- Ice Skating at Maggie Daley Park “Harry Potter: Magic at Play” @ Water Tower Place
- “Mold-A-Rama™: Molded for the Future” @ Museum of Science and Industry
- Wicker Park Winter Market Series @ the Robey
- Mozart Immersive: The Soul of a Genius
- Karen’s Diner – A pop up dining establishment where you get an extra dose of sass with your order
- 4/7-5/14 Dinner With A View
- Art on the Mart – Funtime Unicorn: Ruby Rides Through Four Seasons premieres Friday April 14th, 2023 at 8:30pm.
THURSDAY & FRIDAY, MAY 11th & 12th (& BEYOND)
Chicago Humanities Festival Spring 2023: New Talks and Video Archives @ Various Locations & Chicago Humanities Festival YouTube channel, your favorite browser or YouTube app, any time you want some inspiration, All Ages
WHAT: Interesting conversations with interesting people!
SO WHAT: Chicago Humanities Festival always brings some of the best ideas to the surface with entertaining programming that captures your imagination. Be on the lookout for updates to the upcoming season as their website is constantly updated with new talks. Here is a taste of what’s coming up!
- 5/11 Jonathan Eig on the Life of Martin Luther King Jr plus The JuJu Exchange
- 5/12 A Night Out With Andy Cohen
- 5/18 A Night Out with Andrew Rannells
- 5/21 An Evening with Gigi Gorgeous and Gottmik
- 5/22 Riviera Cocktail Hour and Early Access
- 5/22 Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton
- 5/23 Chicago’s James Beard Foundation Award-Winning Chef & Author Sarah Grueneberg
- 5/23 Elif Batuman in Conversation with Performance by Macie Stewart
- 5/30 Joan Baez: Art, Music, and Activism
NOW WHAT: Head over to take a look at their past events here! You should also sign up for their email list to get updates on upcoming talks in 2023
FRIDAY, MAY 12th
Whisky Fest @ Hyatt Regency Chicago, 151 E Wacker Dr, 6:30pm – 9:30pm, 21+
WHAT: The delicious nectar that is whisky/whiskey
SO WHAT: This is the perfect opportunity to try a huge variety of whiskies from around the globe! Seriously, whether you’re looking for Canadian or Japanese, rye or bourbon, you’ll find it here. WhiskyFest will also include seminars conducted by master distillers and blenders to get you all the more acquainted with the wonderful spirit!
NOW WHAT: Tickets start at $295 for this incredible whisky experience.
The Great Penguin Party @ Shedd Aquarium, , 6:30pm – 11pm, 21+
WHAT: Waddle, dance and have a swinging good time with the penguins at The Great Penguin Party.
SO WHAT: Head over to the Shedd Aqyuarium and enjoy some delicious hors d’oeuvres and an open bar with beer and wine selections (cash bar for cocktails) all the while seeing the wonderful penguins and other aquatic animals at the aquarium! Alan Gresik Swing Orchestra of the Green Mill will be on hand to give the night a fantastic soundtrack!
NOW WHAT: GA tickets are $89.95 and VIP tickets (which include exclusive bar access and a signature cocktail included in the open bar package) are $124.95!
FRIDAY & SATURDAY, MAY 12th & 13th
Sauced Night Market @ House of Vans, 113 N Elizabeth, 5:00pm – 10:00pm, All Ages
WHAT: A night-time market in Chicago’s coolest venue
SO WHAT: Sauced Night Market returns to House of Vans to help finish off the Spring season. The roving night market has been showcases vendors for quite a few years now and they’ll be returning to the West Loop warehouse/skate park/concert hall with another great lineup of local vendors slinging their awesome wares across two nights! The full lineup of vendors can be found at their website.
NOW WHAT: It’s free with RSVP!
FRIDAY – SUNDAY, MAY 12th – 14th (& BEYOND)
Chicago Mayfest @ Lincoln Park (Armitage & Sheffield), Friday 5pm-10pm,, Saturday Noon – 10pm, Sunday Noon – 9pm
WHAT: Fun times in Lincoln Park!
SO WHAT: Chicago Mayfest offers a wide variety of entertainment for all ages. There will be plenty of live entertainment at two stages showcasing Chicago’s most acclaimed musicians. A Kids area will be open with tons of carnival like fun and much more! There will also be delic ious summertime food and all the libations needed to light up your weekend! The Armitage Art Show will also be on hand with plenty of amazing works on display for you to purchase and take home!
NOW WHAT: There is a suggested donation of $10 that will help support RANCH Triangle Community Conservation Association
Chicago Cabaret Week @ Various Locations, Various Times
WHAT: Chicago Cabaret Week returns for its second year!
SO WHAT: Chicago Cabaret Week is a 10-day festival featuring a variety of blues, jazz, American songbook, world music, pop, and Broadway by some of Chicago’s finest artists. This is the perfect opportunity to experience Chicago’s revitalized cabaret scene.
NOW WHAT: Tickets vary, head over to the event page for the week’s schedule and links to tickets!
The Neo-Futurists’ The Infinite Wrench @ The Neo-Futurist Theater, 5153 N Ashland, Friday and Saturday 10:30pm, Sunday 7:00pm, 16+
WHAT: Quick plays live and online!
SO WHAT: The Neo-Futurists are back ! Their Infinite Wrench is an ongoing, ever-changing attempt to perform 30 plays in 60 minutes for a live audience. Now it’s actually a live audience that will be enjoying the performance in person! With plenty of COVID precautions in place, you’ll be able to enjoy the funny, disgusting, profound, terrifying, irreverent, and downright entertaining show with friends!
NOW WHAT: Join the Neo-Futurists this weekend for $15! Head over to their website to see all they have planned now that in-person audiences are a thing again! If you’re still a little anxious about going out, The Infinite Wrench Goes Viral will be continuing til February (and possibly beyond) over at their Patreon
SATURDAY, MAY 13th
Burger Time! @ Marz Community Brewing Co., 3630 South Iron Street, Noon – 3pm
WHAT: A burger competition for the ages!
SO WHAT: Now is the time to decide on who makes the Best Burger in Chicagoland at BURGER TIME! 8 different Burger experts will be compete to be the Burger Time Champion as they prepare their tasty burgers on flattops and charcoal grills! So get ready for this delicous event and help choose the best burger in town!
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $45 and include one sample of each burger and one beer or NA drink!
MOST OF THE SELF-DISTANCING WEEKEND & BEYOND
ChiTown Movies @ Pilsen Neighborhood, 2343 S. Throop St, Various Times, All Ages
WHAT: An old school experience for the modern age
SO WHAT: Take a trip back in time and head out to a drive-in movie with ChiTown Movies. Ever since the pandemic started and shut down traditional movie screening, a few pop up drive-ins have arrived and ChiTown Movies has persevered, offering up modern movies in this retro setting. Check out their lineup below for showings this weekend and in the future!
- 5/11 Puss in Boots: The Last Wish – 8:30pm
- 5/12 Shrek – 8:30pm
- 5/12 Friday the 13th – 10:30pm
- 5/13 Spiderman: No Way Home – 8:30pm
- 5/13 Nightmare on Elm Street– 11:00pm
NOW WHAT: Tickets are $33 per car for these movies, so bring the family for a safe movie watching experience
Weekend Shows @ Lincoln Hall & Schubas, 2424 N Lincoln Ave & 3159 N Southport Ave, various times, 18+
WHAT: A full weekend of amazing shows at Schubas and Lincoln Hall!
SO WHAT: Lincoln Hall and Schubas are some of our favorite venues in the city and they always have something great going on. Check out what’s going this weekend at these great venues!
- May 11 – LHST Comedy Presents: Schubas Open Mic HOSTED BY NAOMI SPUNGEN, ADRIENNE STOUT, AND SUZ BALLOUT @ Schubas
- May 11- Alix Page / Kristiane @ Schubas SOLD OUT
- May 12 Moon Boots (Live) Ride Away Live Tour Spring 2023 / DJ Moonlanding @ Lincoln Hall
- May 12 –Minivan / Western Bisexual / Plant Matter / Daundry @ Schubas
- May 13- Matthew Logan Vasquez / Danny Golden @ Schubas
- May 13 –OFF! / Die Spitz@ Lincoln Hall
- May 14 –LHST Comedy Presents: SchtickHosted by Seth Payne @ Schubas
- May 14 – Ben Abraham / Kieran Rhodes @ Schubas
NOW WHAT: Head out to Schubas & Lincoln Hall and enjoy this great lineup of shows!
Back on the Big Screen and Virtual Cinema @ Music Box Theatre, 3733 N Southport Ave and at your home, any time you want to watch a movie
WHAT: A great way to support a great local theater
SO WHAT: The Music Box Theatre is really to fill that art house need in you with some excellent movies including with Blackberry, Beau is Afraid, 30 for 30: A Comedy Series, Other People’s Children, The Conformist, a midnight screening of Venom and more! But if you want to watch some first-run movies at home, you can still watch great movies and support them online! They are currently screening films via their The Music Box Direct series! There are also tons of select titles available on their new platform!
NOW WHAT: Digital subscription is $4.99 a month, $49.99 a year, in person screenings vary, so sit back and enjoy!
University of Chicago Folk Festival @ Your favorite spot in your home, All Ages
WHAT:A fantastic folk festival
SO WHAT: University of Chicago Folk Festival might have come and gone but their digital presence is still around, making sure the wonderful music reaches as many people as possible! You can check out the past few years of performances on their Facebook page and their YouTube channel any time you want! This past year’s performers included Balfa Toujours, Donka & Nikolay Kolev, Juan Rivera, Henry Barnes & Conner Vlietstra, Po’ Ramblin’ Boys, Jerron Paxton; Tim Britton, John Williams and Katie Grennan!
NOW WHAT: Head over to their Facebook page and their YouTube channel and enjoy the show! We highly encourage you to donate to help support this fantastic folk festival!
Masque of the Red Coronavirus! @ Black Button Eyes Productions, Any time on your computer or mobile device. For 18+.
WHAT: Written by Black Button Eyes Productions producing artistic director Ed Rutherford, this short satirical piece is available online free as a combined script-and-video experience.
SO WHAT: In addition to reading the play, you will see various Chicago artists act out portions of the script on video, recorded remotely. The event includes puppets, burlesque, original music, fire dancing and more in a brief, darkly comedic confection.
With the Red Coronavirus running rampant across the countryside and a vaccine still months away, what’s a Prince to do? Lock himself in a secure bunker in an undisclosed location along with a cohort of his top donors, of course. To prevent him and his rich supporters from becoming bored, the Prince has also brought a few artists into the bunker to entertain the crowd. But as the hour grows later and the night grows weirder, it’s clear that something else has also invaded the party.
NOW WHAT: Settle down for an evening of this great story!